Mango rice is prepared with raw mango. It is popular in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. It is very easy to prepare. It can be prepared in less than 15 mins. Its preparation is similar to Lemon Rice. State wise there is a variation in the preparation of mango rice. Today I will be sharing Andhra style Mango rice recipe.
I posted this pic on Instagram at the time of Ugadi as this is a Ugadi special recipe in Andhra but forgot to share the recipe then. 😛 This month I am planning to share all the mango recipes only. This is my second Mango recipe. I hope you have checked out my first mango recipe i.e, Mango Shrikhand.
Please comment the name of your favourite mango recipe. I will be more than happy to share the recipe.
Ingredients:Cooked Rice - 3 cups
Raw Mango - 1
Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch (Optional)
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
salt - to taste
For Tadka:Ghee/Oil - 2 tsp
Dried red chilli - 1-2
Curry leaves - 8-10
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Chana Dal - 1tsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
For extracting mango juice:
- Grate raw mango with skin.
- In a tadka pan boil some water.
- Add grated mango in water. Let it boil for some time.
- Mango juice is ready!
- The quantity of mango juice that you want to add in rice will vary as per your taste and also on how sour raw mango was.
For Mango rice:
- Mix mango juice, salt, turmeric, Fenugreek powder and rice.
- Rice should be hot when you are mixing these.
- Heat ghee/ oil in a tadka pan.
- Add Chana dal, urad dal. When they become slightly golden in colour then add dried red chillies, mustard seeds, asafoetida. Let them splutter.
- Turn off the stove and add curry leaves.
- Tadka is ready!
- Add this tadka to mango rice. Mix it well. Mango rice is ready!